Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Book Review of Paper Swan by Leylah Attar

Title: Paper Swan
Author: Leylah Attar
~ SYNOPSIS ~
They say it takes 21 days to form a habit. They lie. For 21 days she held on. But on Day 22, she would have given anything for the sweet slumber of death. Because on Day 22, she realizes that her only way out means certain death for one of the two men she loves.

A haunting tale of passion, loss, and redemption, The Paper Swan is a darkly intense yet heartwarming love story, textured with grit, intrigue, and suspense.A full-length, standalone novel, intended for mature audiences due to violence, sex and language. Subject matter may be disturbing for some readers. Romantic Suspense. Please note: this is not a love triangle.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
So, this may be a weird review for me to write (and probably one of the hardest) and it will not be a popular opinion one: I can't honestly rate this book high. <sigh> Why? Why, when all the other reviews I am seeing out there loved it and all the other people highly recommending this book are saying it's a 5 star read? Well, probably because I couldn't connect with this book until the last 20%. Yes.....you read that right: 80% of the book I struggled through and I'm not entirely sure I can pinpoint exactly WHY. I can definitively say that some people have different tastes in books, and that is important to note. 

The writing: Amazing and lyrical with minimal errors. It was wordy.....very wordy, but this author can definitely write. Her words flowed effortlessly.
The love story: I loved their love.....loved it. But again, I couldn't connect until the last 20%.
The cover: Absolutely gorgeous. I mean, look at it? It is beautiful. It truly fit the book.
The plot: This really was a good plot. The way it all came together and the way it was told, however, is where I think it lost me. The way it was told....I think.

Now, having said that....I want to say that I talked this out with some of my favorite book girlfriends, and even an author that LOVED it. I wanted to sleep on it before I reviewed the book because as much as I struggled with it, it was a good story.

I love a story that takes you through something that is hard for others to understand and the words make you feel something....this book definitely took me through the motions; it really did. But the words didn't emote feelings....I just didn't feel it. I couldn't put myself in that situation or feel what was going on during the story.

I love angst.....crave it even. Sadly, I didn't feel the angst, but there was a ton of depth to the back story. It was a very intricate story (with a lot of depth, seriously), but the angst and the buildup was missing for me. I know it was there....because I read it, but I just didn't feel it. Does that make sense?

There was some sweetness around the 60% mark, but that first 80% was torture for me to read. I hate to say that the last 20% made it memorable, but it did. The last 20% was actually beautiful. I just hate that I struggled and questioned even finishing this book 2-3 times. My book girlfriends cheered me on and told me to finish. Was it worth it? After I finished, mostly yes. But while I was reading it, I questioned it the whole time. I feel awful, but I just couldn't connect.

If I had to rate it, I'd rate it one + star for the beautiful writing (a few errors, but not a lot) and one + star for the last 20%.....I waver between 2 and 3 stars. I want to mention: their love came full circle, and you saw 20+ years of love coming back around. I enjoyed figuring out all the little things that played into the big story. I liked how she played in the title of the book and the meaning behind it as well. That was beautiful.

Her writing is beautiful. Please understand that....because it was. She can definitely tell a story. It flowed and there were no major hiccups. Would I recommend this story....I probably would, knowing that everyone has different tastes, but also because I seem to be in the minority regarding this book. I purchased this book as a preorder and I have purchased her other book, 53 Letters For My Lover, of which I fully intend to read as well. This book definitely pushed me to want to read more of her words....that is for sure.





~Leylah Attar~
Leylah Attar writes stories about love - shaken, stirred and served with a twist. When she's not writing, she can be found pursuing her other passions: photography, food, family and travel. Sometimes she disappears into the black hole of the internet, but can usually be enticed out with chocolate.
~Social Media Links~

No comments:

Post a Comment