Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Book Review: "Arsen" by Mia Asher





ARSEN

~ SYNOPSIS ~

One glance was all it took…

I'm a cheater.
I'm a liar.
My whole life is a mess.

I love a man.
No, I love two men…
I think.

One makes love to me. The other sets me on fire.
One is my rock. The other is my kryptonite.

I'm broken, lost, and disgusted with myself.

But I can't stop. This is my story.
My broken love story.






~ SIX STARS! ~

As I sit down to write this, my head is still spinning. Seriously…..like, I can’t even begin to explain to you what this book did to me. I will certainly TRY, but the depth of my emotion and shock and wow cannot be conveyed in a suitable manner. I will just put it out there…..my review will NOT do this book justice. You know what the crazy part is? THIS WAS HER DEBUT NOVEL!!! It’s not often a book can bring out such deep emotion…..DEEEEP emotion. Yes, we feel emotions while reading a book, but magnify all your emotions by 100 and you might tip the iceberg at that point. Might. This book went into the pits and pulled it all out. I want to tell you everything and watch you read it. I want to be there for you to talk to and I want to hear your thoughts…..I want to relive this story over and over and over again. I want to unread it and read it again. The roller coaster, the ups and downs, the pain and heartache, the joy and elation…..I want it all again. I have NEVER felt this with another book. Ever.

*shaking my head* -- STILL

Cathy and Ben are soul mates. They were made only for each other. They were the loves of each other’s lives. Sure, we see this often…..but the way this relationship started out, it was the most perfect beginning for their relationship. The moment they met, there was something that was definitely pulling them together. It was an intense attraction….an immediate attraction. Her beauty, inside and out, captured Ben and he was smitten. Their love was what fairytales were made of. They loved with all they had…..with everything in them. They had fun and they were hot together.

“Um, Cathy…if you start kissing my neck like that, there is a 110% chance that I’m going to jump you like a fucking starved man and rip this pretty little thing you have on.” ~Ben

Arsen doesn’t have to work for anything….he has the looks to bed any woman he wants, he has the family money to do whatever he wants and he has the attitude to not give a fuck. And that is Arsen. He will do anything to get what he wants…..always has, always will. He knows how to take care of a woman….and does a fine job of it, until he finds a new toy. He is just a young, carefree, sexy as hell man.

His smile is electrifying. His smile frightens me. His smile hypnotizes me.

Sadly, Cathy was breaking down, slowly but surely. We start to see her become very bitter, very spiteful and very angry. She was falling into a deep depression from something that SHE had no control over, yet it was controlling her…..and it was tearing her apart. I ached for her….I wanted to comfort her. But, I also found myself wanting to shake her and ask her ‘What the Hell!!??’ She has this amazing husband that would crawl to the ends of the earth and back, just to do anything and everything for her….but she was pulling away. Arsen was there to pick her up…..he was there as her ‘friend’. However, his definition of friend and her definition of friend did not match up. Not one bit. I felt like someone that was watching something sooooo good, but I couldn’t look away. I knew it was wrong but it felt so right. I just wanted to watch what happened and how it all went down…..but covering one eye, shaking my head. I was so engrossed in this book…so wrapped up. It seriously jacked me up.

William Shakespeare said that the eyes are the windows to your soul. When our eyes connect, I see danger, and maybe something exciting. Something forbidden. Some basic instinct in me instantly recognizes that this man doesn’t make love to a woman.
He fucks her.

Arsen and Cathy meld together really well. They are connected immediately….there is no get-to-know-you period. It is immediate. Their sexcapades are definitely ones for the record books. He woke her up….he set her on fire and made her feel alive, from the inside out. He turned her OUT! Thinking about their intimate times…..they are HOT. Scorching hot…..so very sexy and delicious and demanding and on FIRE. OMG. Just thinking about what he did and how she felt….I felt it too. I’m tellin’ ya. Eff’n HOT!!!!

So many warring thoughts are running through my head; fear, dislike, shock, but the voice that is the loudest is lust. ~Cathy

There is a fine line that is toed on in this book….and the innocence and the salaciousness of this book is mixed so very well, you are literally shaking your head. What started out as something so trivial and innocent (so the wrong word, but so very true), turned into something so magnanimous and so powerful, it destroyed lives.

Now, reading their stories, Mia did a phenomenal job making you FEEL the elation, the pain, the happiness, the sorrow, the giddiness, the aching, ALL of it, plus the raw sexual tension between these lovers. I didn’t read it….I felt it. I felt it ALL. I am ruined. RUINED. I will forever be comparing angsty, sexually tensioned, emotionally driven stories to this one. My heart shattered on so many different levels…..to try to explain it to someone who hasn’t read it is attempting the impossible. I am so very glad I had a friend that I was messaging the entire time I read this book. I needed that lifeline….someone to work out my feelings with, someone who had already been thrown against the proverbial wall and was back up again, able to discuss it with me. I am on a mission to have people read this. This was raw. This was gritty. This was real and this broke me…..and I don’t think I want to be fixed. This was perfection in a book.

I got this book immediately after it came out….so I have had it for a while. I finally read it. I would like to say that I wished I read it sooner. But then again, I am glad it took me this long because I read this book at the most opportune time for me, and I was allowed to let this book sit and percolate within me. I was able to just absorb the words in this book, soak them in. I was able to feel the pain and love and every other emotion you can possibly imagine. I have no words…..no words. And for the record, Mia has planted herself on my “no questions asked, purchase any book she writes” list. Because, if she can do THAT with her first book…..imagine what she can do as she lets more stories flow. I may love Mia. I’ll get back to you on that.

This book had EVERY single thing I love in a really good book: angst, hot alpha(s), undying love, love triangle and true to life, REAL emotion.

6 Mind blowing, heart wrenching, nail biting stars.








~ Mia Asher ~

I'm a writer, a hopeless romantic, a wanderer, a dreamer, a cynic, and a believer. And, I might be a bit crazy - but who isn't?

I believe in happy endings however I know that not everyone is lucky enough to get one, but such is life. I think fine lines exist to be pushed and possibly crossed.

Love,
M. 

Social media links:







2 comments: