Friday, February 26, 2016

BOOKISH PET PEEVES — What are yours? #BookishConfession


I don't have many pet peeves where books are concerned, HOWEVER, I do have one that will turn me off from a book.

WHINY AND WEAK FEMALE LEAD CHARACTERS. 

I cannot stand them. Nope. Can't. Trust me when I say that I've tried to put up with some, but I just CAN'T deal with them. And when they start a fight over a stupid misunderstanding?? NO. Or when they go back and forth on things - constantly. *bangs head on desk.* You either want something or you don't. "Oh, I can't do this." But sure enough, 2 seconds later she's doing that thing she couldn't do. I mean, come on... Make up your mind or at least wait a few more chapters!! LOL!

Female lead characters like this make stars in my final rating drop like a prostitute's panties. FAST. No matter how hard I try, they FRUSTRATE me beyond belief and turn me off books. 

Now, it's not all bad. An author with a female character like explained above still has time to redeem his/herself in my eyes. (Mind you, this is a personal bookish pet peeve!)

A book has to be really good in other areas (general story line, other characters like the hero, angst! - to name a few) for me to keep reading and/or not keep taking off stars (if at all) from my final rating. 

For example... Have you read Beautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuire? I'm sure you have, if not -OH MY, where have you been? Well anyway, I completely despise Abby!! Like, she's one of my most hated female characters. But see, the book tells one of my all-time favorite stories and Travis Maddox is my #1 book boyfriend! Although I must admit, Abby is the main reason I FLOVED Walking Disaster WAY MORE, since it's basically the same book but told in Travis' POV. Ha. SCORE for ME.

So like I said, it's not ALL bad, but the book needs to have other AMAZING qualities in order for me to want to keep reading it.

What are some of YOUR pet peeves in books? XO

No comments:

Post a Comment