Wednesday, September 9, 2015

Book Review: Alpha and Omega by K Webster

Title: Alpha & Omega
Author: K Webster
Series: Alpha & Omega, book 1
~ SYNOPSIS ~
For six years, a tough wannabe guardian angel named Alpha has worked hard to prove his worth at HEA Corp. His partner, Omega, has been with him every step of the way. Known affectionately by the other ladies in their sector as Hottie and Dreamy, they’re the dynamic duo and a sure bet to become Seraph Guardians and get their wings. The elite SG protect the good souls of Earth from meeting untimely deaths. 

Currently, Alpha and Omega are Minders who protect the not so innocent until HEL Enterprises, HEA’s sister company, sends their Reapers to collect what’s theirs. As training ends, the partners are made aware of their final assignment. 
Lark Miller. 

Alpha has read her file—she’s the worst of the worst—a drug addict loser with a dark, hidden past. On his final assignment, not only do they change the rules of the game by stripping these Minders of their powers and extending the terms of their protection, but they also send in one of HEL’s top Leviathans, a spicy Latina named Lovenia, to shake things up. 

Alpha and Omega know they have to keep their heads in the game and their hearts free from distraction.

But what happens when a Minder develops feelings for the one they’re supposed to protect? What happens when the rules become unclear and things aren’t what they seem? 

Will Alpha and Omega fly through this one last challenge and fulfill their destiny? Or is there a warm place waiting in the basement of HEL just for them should they fail?
 ~4.5 Stars~
I have been saying I was going to read this story for quite a while.....I even purchased it on sale, but it still sat on my Kindle beckoning me. I knew I was going to. I had to. I purchased it, right? Well, truth be told, I was afraid to because it was paranormal. At the time I purchased it, I had never made it successfully through a PNR book.....ever. I'm not biased, I just can't wrap my head around any of it. I like things to be 'real' to me. Real pain. Real love. Real situations. So, I've always avoided PNR for this reason. I know a lot of people read PNR, but it was one of those things that I wasn't really willing to do until I was ready.
So I did it....and I am GLAD I did!!! I will admit this....the PNR aspect of this book was really very light, in the whole scheme of things. I fell in love with the characters, I enjoyed reading their story and it flowed very easily. Suffice it to say, I was really entertained by this story even though it was paranormal. I never found myself wanting to put it down aaaand....I will probably give a few more a try knowing this wasn't too difficult to handle. Omega & Love will be in my near future, for sure. The way this story was told, it was fluid. It worked really well and was easy to understand. Immediately off the bat, I had a few giggles when meeting Alpha and Omega....after all, who doesn't love Oreos?? Hello! I think that this 'ease' is what allowed me to relax into the story and go with it.

In the very beginning, I was worried I was in a dark book because the way it started out made me question Lark and her thought processes. She was very.....down. Very....dark. Very.....despondent. And once I found out why she was down, my heart just broke for her. 
➜ Split.
➜ Broke.
➜ Done.
Lark was fiercely protective of her heart, and with good reason. I'm fairly positive that I wouldn't survive the aftermath of her pain. Lark wasn't necessarily surviving the aftermath of her drama either, to be honest. But when Alpha came along and just inserted himself right into her life, I found myself smiling. While he was an angel, he didn't really 'follow' preconceived notions about angels and their persona as I've come to understand them. I really loved his quirky alpha ways and he was definitely one to make you swoon! He was seriously a SWEET angel with a good dose of sexy added in. He just made me smile...honestly smile. He 'worked' for me. Like, cheesy-girl-grin worked. Haha!

Lark, however, wanted to be done with his constant presence, yet he always had a reason and a way to be there for her....protecting her, never letting any harm come her way.

~This man in front of me ruins everything. He messes up my carefully constructed world that protects the most vulnerable piece of me--my heart.~

Alpha was more than just her guardian angel....but the depth of his need for her and her safety, along with the intensity of his draw towards her made for a very heart-pulling read. It's one of those books that you can just smile when you think about how much LOVE will actually make you do. The things you give up without realization of the consequences you will endure, all for that ultimate feeling of love and desire. I felt their pain. I felt their need. I felt their want. I felt their desire.

~She's worth it, and I'd do it over and over again. I'd forsake my career, my destiny, my life just to spend on second more with her.~

And Alpha really did.....he did for her and made the ultimate sacrifice for HER and I just <sighed> when I read that. I mean, c'mon....the way it all played out?? LOVE, I tell you.....LOVE.  I will recommend this book many times over. The more I think about it, the more I smile. Because that is what this book did to me. This is the ultimate story of LOVE. Selfless love. A soul-binding love. Love that your soul knows and feels and doesn't let go of. This was a story about loving another beyond the scope of your imagination....and abilities. And I will say....that ending choked me up. I saw it coming, somehow I did, but reading it after everything that happened just made me sigh. That whole, close-your-eyes-and-smile release. It was so perfect, in every way possible.

~She's Heaven and Hell in one delicious package.~






One smile. One damn beautiful smile infected my heart and soul with such a force that I nearly exploded. All hopes of afterlife and the eagerness to leave this one vanished with that one handsome smile. Thump. My heart gave one painful thud and began beating for the first time in its life. 

And then he spoke. The beautiful smile had an even more beautiful voice. And with each word, each joke, and, eventually, each touch, I intertwined my soul so intricately with his that I never had a chance of letting go. I fell in love. And suddenly, life wasn’t long enough.
***
‘Til Death.
***
This is bad. But oh so good. The first kiss we shared was a glimpse into her soul. Her past. Her pain. This kiss is yet another glimpse into her soul. This time, fire and heat. And me.
The thought of her in eternal, torturous agony sends rage swirling in my veins. She can’t die. She can’t go to fucking Hell. It doesn’t make sense. Then a dark thought enters my mind. I’ll protect her. Forever.


~K Webster~
K Webster is the author of dozens of romance books in many different genres including contemporary romance, historical romance, paranormal romance, and erotic romance. When not spending time with her husband of twelve years and two adorable children, she's active on social media connecting with her readers.

Her other passions besides writing include reading and graphic design. K can always be found in front of her computer chasing her next idea and taking action. She looks forward to the day when she will see one of her titles on the big screen. 

~Social Media Links~

No comments:

Post a Comment